Monday, April 9, 2007

Resurrection

Ryan was talking about the sermon our pastor did yesterday. (I wasn't there... I went to 7:30 mass with my grandma in MI). Our conversation made me think about the 1 Corinthian 15 passage that talks about the resurrection. I read it last night, and it was very powerful to me.

For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. (1 Cor. 15:22)

Sometimes I can get so down when I think about all of the suffering in our world. I recently read A Long Way Gone which is a memoir of a boy soldier in Sierra Lionne. He lost his whole family to violence and with very little choice became a soldier himself at a young age. He was rehabilitated and got a college degree in the US. Education and intervention made a difference in his life. Even though education is important, I don't believe that it can turn our whole world around and make all things good. However, Christ can. Just as all death and evil entered the world through Adam, all life and goodness are found in Christ. This world will never be perfect, but He will bring a new kingdom that is only life and goodness. I believe this is a description of what heaven will be like when Christ returns.

When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that has been written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory." 1 Cor. 15:54

Have a happy belated Easter!

No comments: