Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cultivating Weeds

This is what our house looked like when we were buying it last summer.  Yes, it was a suburban jungle.  The shrubs were out of control!  Here's what it looks like now:

My mother-in-law put me to work digging out a border along the front and edging it with stones.  I love it!  However, if you look closely you'll notice that everything green in the yard is a weed and the golden parts are the grass.  I've been battling the weeds.  My brother spread corn gluten meal in the fall, and then I applied some poorly-timed weed and feed (just before the rain, not after).  I've battled a couple times with weed killer in the sprayer, which has actually had a noticeable effect- to me, anyway.  Next is another round of weed and feed.  I'm sorry for contributing to the pollutants in the water supply.  I would like to be more environmentally responsible... any suggestions for organic weed control???


No comments: