Saturday, November 3, 2007

Molly Update

Molly is really growing. She's eight weeks old today. She doesn't go back to the pediatrician for another week and a half, so we don't know an accurate weight for her, but we are guessing around 12 pounds according to my scale when I stand on it and hold her. She has grown out of all of her newborn clothes and 0-3 month clothes. It is sad. I am really enjoying all of the time I get to spend with her. I don't even mind the middle of the night feedings because I know that they are short-term, and it is precious time with her. I thank God often that I am able to nurse her because I know that it just doesn't work out for a lot of people. She still eats every two hours during the day and then sleeps a couple longer periods at night. I'm a grazer and eat quite often, too, so maybe that's what she'll be like.

We had been giving Molly sponge baths. This week I tried introducing her to a real bath. The first time, I had her on a towel next to the kitchen sink, and I tried lowering her into the water. She stuck out her bottom lip and burst out with the loudest cry. I ended up sponge bathing her again. The next time, I was in the tub myself, and Ryan handed her to me. I held her on my legs so that she wasn't touching the water at all. Then, I gently sprinkled some of the water on her feet and legs. She screamed. She continued to cry for the next 45 minutes or so. Tentatively, I attempted again tonight. She was again in the tub with me. I held her so that as the water level rose it submerged her feet. She didn't seem to notice or mind. I ended up giving her primarily a sponge bath on my legs, but with much more splashing and dousing than normal. She was content the entire time. Hopefully, she'll be ready to be put in the water soon.

She is really becoming aware of her hands. She is trying to touch toys that are put in front of her. She grabbed onto her foot a couple times yesterday, but I don't think she knew it was her foot. She has a little toy that she lies beneath and looks up at. She kicks at the stuffed animals hanging from it and reaches for them.

We also try to give her a little tummy time. She really strains when she's on her belly because I think it is uncomfortable for her. She squirms around and trys to get her knees underneath her body. Earlier this week, she was on her belly and rolled over to her back for the first time. She's also been smiling quite a bit. As much as I don't like the idea of her growing up and time passing, she is a lot of fun right now. Other people comment that it is hard to believe she's already eight weeks old. However, it seems like a really long time ago that I was pregnant or that Molly was a tiny newborn. I'm so glad that I can be home with her all day. I think maybe the time doesn't go by so fast that way.

No comments: